Providing the cleanest LNG possible for use around the world
Driving forward, Today's BC Liberals will:
- Work with project proponents and upstream gas producers to ensure that additional LNG developments are globally competitive for the next wave of LNG investment.
- Work towards getting three LNG facilities moving to construction by 2020.
Safely developing natural gas
To make sure BC benefits, we will require LNG projects meet four conditions:
- Projects must offer jobs and training for British Columbians, especially jobs for local people.
- The people of BC must get a fair return for our resources.
- Projects must secure full partnerships with local First Nations.
- Projects must complete a made-in-BC environmental assessment and respect our commitments to combating climate change.
BC Citizens First
We believe the BC Liberal's faith in LNG for delivering prosperity for British Columbia is totally misguided. There is a significant global excess of current LNG supply and this will not dissipate over the next 20 years due to past LNG supply over-developments. It is therefor folly to build a $9,000 million Site C Dam to supply electricity to any future "pie-in-the-sky" supposed BC LNG projects, as they simply cannot be justified on economic analysis by their large corporate developers. Those taxpayer funds will be far better spent financing the current urgent housing, drug, hospital, education, child care and earthquake preparedness needs of BC.
OIL AND GAS We support Oil and Gas exploration. However, we are strongly opposed to the use of fracking. We will ban fracking across BC due to seismic earthquake risks. It is well documented by international scientists that fracking causes seismic activity. We therefore believe it is far too risky to continue fracking across B.C. since it most likely will artificially induce a major earthquake before our community is fully prepared for its impact.