Maintaining the carbon tax freeze
Driving forward, Today's BC Liberals will:
- Ensure our principles of affordability, competitiveness and revenue neutrality are confirmed and respected as we implement the Pan-Canadian Framework on Climate Change.
- Maintain our carbon tax freeze until 2021.
- Ensure British Columbia decides the best way forward to meet our climate goals, working with Canada.
Climate action rebate cheques
The BC NDP will ensure that our climate action plan will meet the federal government's new carbon price mandate, and that people like you will be better off than they will be under Christy Clark.
- When the price goes up to match the federal mandate, we will create a new climate action rebate cheque for low and middle income families (80 per cent of families).
- All new money from carbon tax increases will be used to provide rebate cheques for families and invest in climate change solutions that create jobs, benefit communities and reduce climate pollution.
BC Citizens First
We believe the current carbon pricing policy for BC is appropriate for the time being, and should remain at $30 per tonne of emissions in BC until at least the end of 2020 at which time the rest of the country will have theoretically raised their carbon taxes to the same levels at BC. We believe such a public policy is prudent particularly given the uncertainty around potential competitive disadvantage against the USA with the new Trump administrationâ€™s relaxation of carbon pricing. We also support the establishment of an independent national panel of experts to report in 2021 on the current status of all provincial carbon pricing programs and to provide recommendations for moving forward. Our party will only support an ongoing national carbon pricing program in which our province is not financially disadvantaged compared to any other province in Canada.