Putting the care into care
We believe every child has the right to care, safety, permanency and connection with their culture. The BC NDP is committed to improving our system of care by:
- Providing an additional $10 million for Agreements with Young Adults, so all youth aging out of government care who need support can receive it.
- Ensuring our K-12 system has the resources to help youth in care graduate with their peers.
- Working with universities and colleges to expand the tuition fee waiver program and provide enhanced supports for former youth in care who pursue post-secondary education.
- Empowering the Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth to review the recommendations of the Independent Representative for Children and Youth and address them.
Connecting and staying with their families and communities is important for all children - especially First Nations children. John Horgan and the BC NDP will meet their specific needs by:
- Implementing the recommendations from Grand Chief Ed John's report and provide better supports to keep Aboriginal children at home and out of care.
- Ensuring that basic care standards are met for children in care and that there is a plan to connect them with their culture and community.
- Supporting delegated Aboriginal agencies so they can offer services at the same level offered to non-Aboriginal children.
Family care for children
Review the current practices. Too many children are being taken from their own homes. We need to try to help parents heal their relationships and hold them accountable for consistent and adequate care for their children, helping them when needed. But we should try to avoid imposing a state-run one-size-fits-all approach to childcare.
Look after BC's seniors
We need to honour the seniors who made this country and help them in their golden years. As much as possible, we should help them stay in their own homes, utilizing family care workers and volunteers where we can. In end-of-life situations, we should provide compassionate palliative care (comfort care) NOT euthanasia.