Up to 13,000 new child care spaces by 2020
Driving forward, Today's BC Liberals will:
- Work with the federal government on their new plan to expand the number of childcare spaces in British Columbia.
- Increase investment in childcare to $352.5 million.
- Develop a Low Income Families in Transition (LIFT) pilot program that provides temporary assistance to low-income single working parents so they can take time away from their current employment, or reduce their hours without financial penalty, and assist with training, child care, and transit costs while upgrading or acquiring new skills.
$10 a day childcare
The BC NDP will create a $10 a day childcare plan. It will initially focus on children under the age of two before gradually expanding to cover other pre-kindergarten children.
This plan will be:
- Affordable: We will offer full-day care for $10 and part-time care for $7 a day, with no fee for families with annual incomes below $40,000 a year.
- Accessible: We will build a childcare system that provides safe care for every child whose family wants or needs it. All children will be welcome and licensed family homes and centres will continue to offer a range of programs that reflect the diversity of BC communities. Families can select the type of childcare that works for them.
- Quality: The $10 a day plan invests in the Early Childhood Educator workforce - helping ensure that they are well-educated, well-respected and fairly compensated.
Help parents care for their children
Parents are the best childcare possible. Our federal policy would provide $1000 / mo to families where one parent provides consistent childcare in the home instead of having both parents working out. Not always possible but that is ideal. This also creates additional jobs because one less person is in the workplace. The benefit to children cannot be measured and will save immeasurable dollars in the future .
BC Citizens First
25,000 NEW CHILD CARE SPACES TO ELIMINATE CURRENT WAITLIST TIMES
Immediately inject funds into creating a massive 25,000 new daycare spaces across BC which will completely eliminate current waitlists. Also, in order to better co-ordinate daycare provision, current BC Schools with under-utilized space will be a key focus for initial daycare spaces. This will deliver greater certainty of existence for some currently under-utilized schools across BC, as well as provide a means for parents to drop off members of their family into facilities within close proximity to each other.