Investing in transportation around the province
Driving forward, Today's BC Liberals will:
- Complete the construction of the George Massey replacement bridge.
- Invest in Phase 3 of the Cariboo Connector - four-lane highway between prince George and Cache Creek
- Invest in Alex Fraser Bridge capacity improvements
- Invest in interchange upgrades at Lower Lynn Creek
- Invest in four-laning of the Trans-Canada highway from Kamloops to the Alberta border
- Invest in Highway 97 widening in Kelowna
- Invest a minimum of $25 million over the next two years on upgrades to the Malahat and Pat Bay Highways working with local governments to determine the areas of greatest importance.
- Complete interchange work at Admirals Road / McKenzie Avenue in Greater Victoria, ongoing upgrades to the belleville Ferry Terminal, the North Courtenay Connector, and the West SHore Parkway Extension
- Contribute $500,000 to fund a study to improve access to all airports north of the Malahat.
- Contribute half of the $27 million upgrade to Highway 4 near Kennedy Lake providing better access to Ucluelet, Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park.
- Continue the $24 million BC Air Access Program funding for airports across BC, including more than $1.3 million this year for projects at Campbell River, Port Alberni and Comox Valley
- Invest in the Meadowood connector business case pre-feasibility study.
- Continue to assist in establishing passenger only service between Nanaimo and Waterfront Station in downtown Vancouver.
Creating 96,000 construction jobs
We need to restore, replace and repair schools, hospitals, roads and transit. In doing so, we'll create 96,000 real jobs and add $18 billion dollars in economic activity while helping us deliver the services people need.
Building strong communities
Quality schools, good hospitals, recreation centres and transit options are all necessities of communities large and small. We'll invest in all corners of BC, making communities stronger, spurring economic growth and creating good jobs close to home.
Cutting commute times and reducing congestion
Building a better BC means getting you to and from work and school faster and safer. We'll invest in improving roads and in major new transit projects to reduce congestion, get cars off the road and reduce our impact on the environment.
Creating technology infrastructure and innovation centres
We'll partner with universities, colleges, technical institutions and businesses to build and fund specialized innovation centres in the interior and northern BC to make sure all regions of the province benefit from jobs and investment in the new economy.
Building partnerships to fund new infrastructure
Our plan to create 96,000 jobs includes funding partnerships with the federal government, First Nations, municipalities, pension funds, financial institutions and businesses.