This is a page from the 2019 Canadian general election.
- Introduce a Canada Training Benefit, giving workers money to help pay for training, provide income support during training, and offer job protection.
- Create a Canadian Apprenticeship Service, supported by up to $10,000/apprentice, over four years, for every new position created.
- Work with colleges and universities to make sure courses, programs, and academic curricula reflect labour demands.
- Make sure government retraining programs meet demand for skills required.
Change EI rules to allow workers who quit their job to go to school to qualify for EI benefits, expand options for workers in designated sectors and regions to take EI funded training ahead of losing a job, and require employers to spend at least 1 percent of payroll on training.
Give full- and part-time students up to $1,200 more per year.
Over the long term, work with provinces and territories to cap and reduce tuition feeds, building towards making post-secondary education part of a public education system.
- Allocate $10 billion to post-secondary and trade school supports.
- Make college and university tuition free for all Canadian students.
- Remove the 2% cap on increases in education funding for Indigenous students.
- Forgive extant student debt held by the federal government.
Raise the government's contribution to an RESP from 20% to 30% for every dollar invested up to $2,500 a year.
Introduce rules so that graduates won't have to start repaying their loans until they make at least $35,000, and put payments on hold if their income ever falls below this level.
Eliminate interest rates on student loans federally, move away from loans, and increase access to non-repayable Canada Student Grants.