- Introduce legislation to end cosmetic testing on animals as soon as 2023, & phase out toxicity testing on animals by 2035.
- Work with partners to curb illegal wildlife trade & end ivory trade.
- Introduce legislation to protect animals in captivity.
- Ban the live export of horses for slaughter.
- Work with our partners to help women & children fleeing violence to stay with their companion animals.
- Ban puppy mills.
- Ban cosmetic testing on animals.
- Provide $10M/year to train judges & prosecutors on links between violence against animals & violence against people.
- Increase cross-reporting between animal welfare & child welfare agencies.
- Add animal cruelty as an aggravating factor in domestic violence prosecutions.
Curb the import & domestic trade of wild animals.
- Continue planting 2 billion trees.
- Restore & enhance more wetlands, grasslands, & peatlands to capture & store carbon.
- Provide a tax credit for the deployment of Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage Technology in the energy sector and other industries that burn fossil fuels.
- Invest in Direct Air Capture.
- In total, invest $5 billion in Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage.
- Remove the federal price on carbon.
- Replace it with a Personal Low Carbon Savings Account, requiring people to pay into their PLCSA every time they fill up.
- Start the PLCSA at $20/tonne, rising to $50/tonne.
- People could withdraw from their PLCSA to spend on products to reduce their energy footprint, such as transit passes, green home retrofits, & electric vehicles.
- Maintain Output Based Pricing.
Increase the federal carbon price by $25/tonne each year until 2030.
- Establish 10 new national parks in the next 5 years & work w/ Indigenous communities on co-management agreements.
- Work w/ partners to conserve 25% of lands & waters by 2025 & 30% by 2030.
- Work to halt nature loss by 2030 w/ a full recovery by 2050.
- Work w/ Indigenous peoples to support new Indigenous Guardians programs.
- Build new urban national parks.
- Establish a $50M BC Old Growth Nature Fund.
- Introduce an Environmental Bill of Rights.
- Strengthen the Canadian Environmental Protection Act.
- Protect 30% of Canada's land, freshwater, and oceans by 2030.
- Create a new Civilian Climate Corps to mobilise young people & create jobs supporting conservation efforts.
- Launch a 10-year plan to reverse species loss.
- Restrict trade of wild animals.
- Expand the Indigenous Guardians Programme.
- Support Indigenous-led protected & conservation areas.
- Fund stewardship by Indigenous guardians.
- Implement Canada's commitments under the Convention on Biological Diversity & follow-up protocols.
- Protect a minimum of 30% of freshwaters & lands by 2030 & 50% by 2050.
- Modernise the Canadian Environmental Protection Act.
- Create a national urban biodiversity regeneration strategy.
- Support retrofits & upgrades to protect against extreme weather.
- Develop flood maps for higher-risk areas in the next 3 years.
- Create a low-cost national flood insurance programme.
- Finalise the National Adaption Strategy by 2022.
- Expand eligibility for CMHC deep home retrofits.
- Create a Climate Adaption Home Rating Program.
- Create a nation-wide flood ready information portal.
- Appoint a national disaster resilience advisor to the Privy Council Office.
- Implement a national action plan on floods, incl. a residential high risk flood insurance programme.
- Implement a national climate adaption strategy, incl. addressing flood readiness w/ private sector solutions.
- Consider mitigation & adaptation in infrastructure investments.
- Invest $3 billion in natural climate solutions.
- Create a National Crisis Strategy to help communities plan for & respond to climate risks.
- Create a new Climate Corps of young workers to respond to climate impacts.
- Create an Office of Environmental Justice to address disproportionate impacts of pollution & loss of biodiversity on low-income, racialised, & other marginalised communities.
- Expand funding for adaptation & disaster response.
- Increase funding for the Disaster Mitigation & Adaptation Fund to support climate resilience projects, including wildfire mitigation, rehabilitation of storm water systems, & restoration of wetlands, shorelines, & other natural infrastructure.
- Create an independent, scientific, non-partisan, diverse Climate Council to advise the government.
- Implement the recently passed Net Zero Emissions Accountability Act.
- Achieve a 40-45% reduction in emissions by 2030 compared to 2005 levels.
- Achieve net-zero emissions as soon as possible and no later than 2050.
- Set 5-year targets, & 2025 & 2030 milestones for emissions reductions from the oil & gas sector.
- Require oil & gas companies to reduce methane emissions by 75% below 2012 levels by 2030.
Reduce targets to 30% below 2005 levels by 2030.
- Set a target to reduce emissions by at least 50% from 2005 levels by 2030.
- Put in place carbon budgets.
- Create a Climate Accountability Office.
- Ensure government financial controls and Crown corporations are aligned with net-zero.
- Appoint a Climate Emergency Committee of Cabinet.
- Establish a Climate Emergency Secretariat in the PMO.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 60% below 2005 levels by 2030, with clear, enforceable targets & timelines starting in 2023.
- Achieve net-zero emissions as quickly as possible, with net-negative in 2050.
- Provide grants of up to $5K for home retrofits & interest-free loans up to $40K for deep retrofits to improve a home's energy efficiency.
- Launch a National Net-zero Emissions Building Strategy to get to net-zero emissions from buildings by 2050.
- Invest $250M to help low-income Canadians get off home-heating oil.
- Require EnerGuide labelling of homes at time-of-sale.
- Provide a regulatory & financial framework to facilitate building retrofits, modelled after the SOFIAC programme in Quebec.
- Provide extra benefits for buildings that complete their retrofits prior to 2030.
- Develop a Net Zero Foundations program.
- Work with provinces, territories, & utilities to implement a Residential Building Retrofit Initiative.
- Retrofit all buildings in Canada by 2050, beginning with retrofitting all buildings built before 2020 within the next 20 years.
- Require large scale building retrofits in all sectors.
- Provide low-interest loans to help people make home improvements for energy efficiency & air quality.
- By 2025, require every new building to be net-zero.
- Create & implement a national green retrofit of existing residential, commercial, institutional, & industrial buildings.
- Support agencies & institutions to create programmes to carry out green retrofits in different areas & for different communities.
- Update the national building code to require all new construction & major renovations to older buildings meet net-zero standards by 2030.
- Invest $1 billion in Small Modular Reactors.
- Implement a hydrogen energy strategy to increase use of hydrogen, especially green hydrogen, and build export capacity.
- Set a target of net carbon-free electricity by 2030.
- Set a target of 100% non-emitting electricity by 2040.
- Establish a Canadian Climate Bank to invest in renewable energy, energy efficiency, & low-carbon tech, and support Canadian manufacturing of renewable energy components.
- Support investments in community-owned clean energy projects.
- Ensure 100% of Canadian electricity is produced from renewable sources by 2030.
- Ban further development of nuclear power in Canada.
- Pass a strengthened Canadian Environmental Protection Act.
- Recognise the right to a healthy environment in federal law.
- Implement mandatory labelling of chemicals in consumer products.
- Increase testing of imported products for compliance with Canadian standards.
- Examine & develop a strategy to address the link between race, socio-economic status, & exposure to environmental risk.
- Ensure the right to a healthy environment, enforceable in law.
- Support swift passage of the proposed National Strategy Respecting Environmental Racism and Environmental Justice Act.
- Expand access to nearby nature, especially for racialised people & those facing systemic barriers.
- Require labelling of chemicals & GMOs in consumer products.
- Eliminate fossil fuel subsidies and redirect the funding to low carbon initiatives.
- Place a legislative ban on any future oil, gas, and pipeline subsidies.
- End all subsidies to the fossil fuel sector.
- End leasing of federal lands for fossil fuel production and retire existing licenses.
- Establish a Canada Water Agency in 2022, working with partners to protect freshwater resources, incl. by developing & updating river basin & large watershed agreements.
- Modernise the Canada Water Act.
- Implement a Freshwater Action Plan with $1B over 10 years.
- Invest $37.5M in the Experimental Lakes Area.
- Offer municipalities means to manage & regulate boating on their lakes & rivers.
- Support the completion of the Canadian Wetland Inventory.
- Provide funding for watershed protection.
- Work with governments to end raw sewage dumping.
- Reinstate the Lake Simcoe Clean-Up Fund.
- Develop an investment tax credit of up to 30% for a range of clean tech, including low-carbon & net-zero tech, with input from external experts.
- Provide incentives for domestic procurement of clean tech.
- Triple funding for clean tech on farms.
- Partner with post-secondary institutions & Indigenous organisations to accelerate the creation & growth of Indigenous clean tech businesses.
- Increase funding and incentives to clean tech research & manufacturing.
- Introduce Buy Canadian government procurement policies for green tech.
- Develop partnerships across disciplines with government, non-profit organisations, academic institutions, & industry.
- Invest in research & necessary equipment, including the possibility of a shared climate super computer.
- Establish a federally-funded $1B Green Venture Capital Fund to support viable local green business start-ups.
- Advance green industrial strategies.
- Continue investing funds from the Net Zero Accelerator in strategic opportunities.
- Tie Canada's industrial carbon price to the EU's & eventually the US's.
- Potentially set industrial carbon prices on a path to $170/tonne by 2030.
- Propose minimum North American standards for key industrial sectors.
- Study imposing a carbon border tariff on goods imported from countries without compatible emissions reduction mechanisms.
Increase export of resources where Canada produces lower-pollution versions, including aluminum.
Work with governments, business, & labour to create a national industrial strategy for low-carbon manufacturing.
- Strengthen the Pest Control Products Act.
- Invest in further government & independent science, including water & soil monitoring & on the cumulative effects of multiple pesticides on health & the environment.
- Ensure the impacts on wildlife are fully considered.
- Support food producers who choose alternative pest management approaches that reduce the need for chemical pesticides.
- Set targets for reducing the use of pesticides in agriculture.
- Assist farmers in moving to organic & regenerative farming.
- Revive & expand the National Pesticides Monitoring & Surveillance Network.
- Create an adverse effects reporting database for doctors & emergency rooms to track health impacts of pesticides & other chemicals.
- Ban neonicotinoid pesticides.
- Revert the changes to the Impact Assessment Act made under Bill C-69.
- Create an accelerated Impact Assessment process.
- Establish 10 new marine conservation areas in the next 5 years.
- Renew & expand the Coastal Restoration fund.
- Modernise the Oceans Act to explicitly consider climate change impacts on marine ecosystems & species.
- Expand the Ghost Gear Program to clean up oceans & coasts.
- Invest $50M in community shoreline cleanup.
- Create a national working group on climate-resilient ocean conservation planning.
Re-allow the shipping of oil and petroleum products on the North Coast of British Columbia by repealing Bill C-48.
- Expand marine protected areas.
- Reduce emissions from shipping & fishing.
- Include Indigenous Peoples in all aspects of marine protection site selection, management, & decision-making.
- Commit permanent funding for marine conservation.
- Support a ban on deep seabed mining until at least 2030.
- Implement an Extended Producer Responsibility program for synthetic fishing gear.
- Set zero-emissions targets for marine vessels by 2040 & ports & inland vessels by 2030.
- Move toward mandatory climate-related financial disclosures.
- Require climate-related financial disclosures & development of net-zero plans for federally-regulated institutions.
- Issue green bonds annually, worth at least $5B.
- Develop a climate data strategy.
- Work with financial experts through the Sustainable Action Council to develop a net-zero capital allocation strategy.
Require federal public investment funds, including the CPP Investment Board, to divest from fossil fuels.
- Require that plastic packaging contain 50% recycled content by 2030.
- Work w/ provinces & territories on recycling targets for plastic bottles.
- Prohibit using the ♲ symbol on a product unless 80% of recycling facilities accept it.
- Require producers to report the amount, type, & end-of-life management of plastics.
- Implement right-to-repair & encourage with a tax credit.
- Create a No-Waste Food Fund.
Ban the export from Canada of plastic waste to be finally be disposed of in foreign countries.
- Train 1,000 new community-based firefighters.
- Work with provinces & territories to provide firefighters with needed equipment, including Canadian-made planes.
- Support & expand Indigenous-led fire crews & build capacity to better incorporate Indigenous traditional knowledge strategies in fire management.
Invest in forest health and wildfire prevention & early detection.
- Create fire breaks & fire suppression.
- Provide physical resources to deal with fires quickly.
- Include fire mitigation subsidies to owners of rural properties, allowing them to better manage the health of their forests.
- Establish a $2B Futures Fund for Alberta, Saskatchewan, & Newfoundland & Labrador, design in collaboration with local workers, unions, educational institutions, environmental groups, investors, & Indigenous peoples.
- Support local & regional economic diversification.
- Move forward with Just Transition legislation.
- Launch a Clean Jobs Training Centre to help workers upgrade or gain new skills.
- Introduce a Just Transition Act before the end of 2021.
- Plan for a fair transition of workers towards a decarbonised economy, that protects communities from displacement, & in which affected people are leading the preparation of their transition strategies.
- Use wage insurance, retraining programmes, & early retirement plans.