- Create a Canadian Food Strategy to invest in agricultural communities, support young farmers, & ensure rural livelihoods are sustainable.
- Create a payment protection programme for produce growers.
- Restore protection for growers selling to the US under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act.
- Support sustainable & low-carbon agriculture.
- Connect communities to farmers through local food hubs.
- Match ticket sales for cultural venues to compensate for COVID restrictions.
- Provide emergency relief to out-of-work artists, craftsmen, creators, & authors who are primarily self-employed or independent contractors.
- Update the Copyright Act, including allowing resale rights for artists.
- Hold a summit within 100 days on plans to restart the industry.
- Invest $43M/year for authors & publishers.
- Provide a dedicated rebuilding package for performing arts, theatre, festivals, & other arts affected by the pandemic.
- Prioritise partnerships with independent producers & increase funding for Telefilm.
- Provide financial support for Indigenous theatre at the National Arts Centre.
- Put in place income tax averaging for artists & cultural workers.
Introduce a Construction Mobility Tax Credit allowing construction workers to subtract up to $4,000 per year of temporary relocation expenses from taxable income.
- Establish Employee Ownership Trusts to provide a tax advantage for company owners to sell to their employees. This would be a reduction in capital gains tax when the owner sells to a trust owned by employees.
- Ensure the BDC makes financing available to support these trusts.
- Update the definition of entrepreneur used across government to include a diversity of entrepreneurs & includes small & medium-size businesses that operate in the care economy, retail, & service sectors.
- Create a community stream to the Ecosystem Fund to support smaller community-level organisations in providing mentorship at the local level to diverse women.
Provide small- and medium-sized businesses with a single point of contact to help ease regulatory processes and support compliance.
Promote entrepreneurship training & business support, especially for women, young, racialised, & Indigenous entrepreneurs.
- Require foreign web giants to contribute to the creation & promotion of Canadian stories & music.
- Make funding platform-agnostic & open to traditionally underrepresented storytellers.
- Permanently increase funding to Telefilm Canada by $50M.
- Double contribution to the Canada Media Fund.
- Increase funding for French audiovisual content to 40%.
- Provide $13M/year to the Indigenous Screen Office.
- Provide a 50% rebate for food and non-alcoholic drinks purchased for dine-in Monday-Wednesday for one month.
- Provide a 15% tax credit for vacation expenses in Canada up to $1,000 in 2022.
- End increases to liquor taxes.
- Invest in the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy & the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
- Implement a National Quantum Strategy for quantum research.
- Invest in the National Research Council's Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre.
- Establish a Canada Advanced Research Projects Agency as a public-private bridge for research.
- Increase R&D spending to 2.5% of GDP.
- Establish a dedicated innovation agency focusing on developing joint projects across universities, private industry, & national labs.
- Increase direct federal funding for private & student-led business R&D.
- Provide access to federally-funded intellectual property at a discount to Canadian companies with Canadian operations.
- Create a federal hub to help Canadian businesses & entrepreneurs take full advantage of opportunities from trade agreements.
- Launch an Asia-Pacific strategy to deepen partnerships.
- Develop a strategy for economic cooperation across Africa.
- Establish a digital policy task force.
- Expand Canada's Responsible Business Conduct strategy.
- Only make agreements w/ countries that respect workers & environment.
- Create a strategy to move supply chains away from China.
- Withdraw from the Asian Infrastructure & Investment Bank.
- Pursue a Canada-Australia-New Zealand-UK agreement.
- Expand the CPTPP.
- Pursue deeper ties with India.
- Develop export markets for Canadian nuclear technology & uranium.
- Increase transparency for trade negotiations.
- Directly engage with Canadians on the expected costs & benefits of potential trade deals.
- Ensure all trade agreements are consistent with UNDRIP.
- Evaluate all potential trade deals for social, environmental, and gendered impact.
- Modernise the trade remedy system.
- Make sure trade unions have full standing in trade cases and can start trade disputes.
- Provide a 5% investment tax credit for any capital investment in 2022 and 2023, with the first $25,000 to be refundable for small business.
- Provide a 25% tax credit on amounts up to $100,000 that Canadians personally invest in a small business over the next two years.
- Develop strategies to expand critical domestic manufacturing capacity & supply chain infrastructure, incl. for auto, aerospace, shipbuilding, construction materials, pharmaceuticals, & PPE.
- Convene an auto summit with governments, industry, & labour to develop a National Automotive Strategy to attract jobs & investment.
- Restore the Automotive Innovative Fund & make contributions tax-free.
- Require digital platforms that generate revenue from publishing news content to share a portion of their revenues with Canadian news outlets, modelled after Australia's similar legislation.
- Support production of news for underserved communities with $50M over 5 years through the Local Journalism Initiative.
- Introduce a digital media royalty framework requiring digital platforms to compensate media outlets for content shared.
- Reduce government spending on advertising on foreign-owned platforms and instead direct ad spending to Canadian media.
- End the $600M journalism fund.
- Increase financial support for the Canada Media Fund.
- Extend support to Canadian media to assist in the transition to digital.
- Revive mine training in Nunavut, in partnership with mining companies.
- Work with territories, local Indigenous communities, & Parks Canada to find opportunities to build the eco-tourism economy in Northern parks.
- Work with governments & communities in Nunatsiavut, Nunavut, Nunavik, and the Inuvialuit Settlement Region to develop community-based marine-fisheries.
Allow those on maternity and parental leave to earn up to $1,000 per month.
Expand parental leave to include leave to care for elderly family members and leave following miscarriages.
Require gig economy companies to make contributions equivalent to CPP and EI premiums into a new, portable Employee Savings Account every time they pay workers. The money would grow tax-free and can be withdrawn by the worker when needed.
Require that part-time and contract workers be compensated equally to full-time workers.
- Make unfunded pension liabilities owed to workers, & employees' severance pay, are the top priority when a company goes bankrupt.
- Prevent companies from paying dividends & bonuses when pensions are underfunded.
- Create a mandatory, industry-financed pension insurance programme.
- Create a Pension Advisory Commission to develop a long-term plan to enhance Old Age Security, GIS, & CPP.
- Amend pension benefit legislation for federally-regulated pensions to maintain pension plan solvency.
- Introduce a refundable tax credit equal to the amount of pension loss an individual incurs when a pension fails, as a temporary measure.
- Enable the creation of a Distressed Pension Facility during corporate insolvency.
- Establish super-priority of pensioners & pension plans in creditor hierarchy during insolvency proceedings.
- Reform the Scientific Research & Experimental Development Program.
- Add 1K Canada Research Chairs to attract top talent at Canadian universities & support graduate research, focusing on improving gender & racial equity among Canadian faculty, promoting interdisciplinary research, & life sciences & biomedical research.
- Provide $75M/year fund for colleges & universities to commercialise research.
- Invest in scientific research.
- Implement the full funding recommendations from Canada's Fundamental Science Review.
- Increase funding for granting councils from $22.4B to $30B.
- Restore Climate Change & Atmospheric Research funding to the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council (NSERC).
- Support NSERC's Framework on Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion.
- Introduce amendments to the Canada Labour Code to provide 10 days of paid sick leave for all federally regulated workers, within 100 days.
- Convene the provinces & territories to develop a national action plan to legislate sick leave.
- Work with the provinces to bring in permanent, country-wide access to paid sick days, with full income replacement, & reimbursed to employers.
- Keep the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit in place until all Canadians have access to paid sick days.
- Immediately legislate 10 paid sick days for federally-regulated workplaces.
- Continue wage and rent subsidies for small businesses until they're able to fully reopen after the pandemic.
- Put in place a hiring bonus to pay the employer portion of EI and CPP for new or rehired staff.
- Cap credit card merchant fees at 1%.
- Extend wage & rent subsidies until pandemic-related restrictions are fully lifted.
- Hold the small business tax rate at no more than 9%.
- Eliminate duplicative tax filings.
- Streamline approvals for Small & Medium Enterprises to adopt technologies.
- Subsidise the implementation of new clean technologies across all Small & Medium Enterprises.
Work with supply-managed sectors to determine compensation for the new NAFTA within the first year of a new mandate.
Provide more funding to the CRA, increasing to $750M/year, for stronger enforcement of taxation for multinational firms, of large corporations, international taxation, and other tax evasion.
- Raise corporate income taxes on banks & insurance companies who earn more than $1B/year, & introduce a temporary Canada Recovery Dividend for those companies to pay.
- Require anyone who qualifies for the top tax bracket to pay at least 15% per year, regardless of deductions & credits.
- Tax luxury cars, boats, & planes.
- Eliminate flow-through shares for oil, gas, & coal projects.
- Tax vaping products.
- Make the Taxpayer Ombudsman an officer of Parliament with order-making authority.
- Launch a review of the tax system to improve competitiveness, reduce rates, and simplify rules.
- Revise CRA penalties.
- Allow businesses with less than $60k in revenues to use simple cash accounting.
- Study introducing new taxes on frequent flyers, non-electric luxury vehicles, & second homes.
- Introduce a temporary 15% tax on large corporate windfall profits during the pandemic.
- Pursue large corporations that used wage subsidies to pay executive bonuses or shareholder dividends.
- Increase the capital gains inclusion rate to 75%.
- Increase the top marginal rate 2pp.
- Introduce a luxury goods tax.
- Introduce a 1% wealth tax on those with over $10M.
- Return corporate income taxes to 2010 levels.
Place a 10% tax on sugary drinks.
- Introduce a digital services tax of 3% gross revenue in Canada for companies that don't pay corporate income tax in Canada.
- Create a technology task force in the Competition Bureau to examine whether big tech dominance & anti-competitive behaviour is damaging to Canadian industry.
- Introduce legislation to prohibit the use of replacement workers when a union employer in a federally-regulated industry locks out its employees.
- Work with federally-regulated employers & labour groups to develop a policy on the right of employees to disconnect at the end of the workday.