- Create an efficiency mechanism, where those waiting for their applications to be reviewed can pay a fee for expedited processing, with revenue collected going to hiring additional staff for processing.
- Attempt to identify unutilised resources.
- Simplify and streamline the application process and eliminate duplication.
Work with provinces, territories, & regulatory bodies to improve foreign credential recognition.
Improve foreign credentials recognition.
- Review & update accreditation policies & licensing programmes.
- Work with accreditation institutions to recognise foreign training & education.
- Allocate more funding to provide training language & employment skills, & accreditation recognition for any newcomers legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Incentivise employers to hire newcomers & refugee claimants.
- Reduce processing times to under 12 months.
- Introduce electronic applications for family reunification.
- Scrap the lottery system for family reunification.
- Create a first-come-first-served system with weighting to prioritise applicants on criteria such as providing child care or family support, and language proficiency.
- Invest additional resources in processing applications.
- End caps on applications to sponsor parents & grandparents.
- Treat caregivers brought to Canada with respect & dignity, provide them with status, & allow them to reunite with their families without delay.
- Record all interactions between immigration officers & applicants to ensure oversight, fairness, & accountability.
- Use technology to speed application vetting.
- Increase cultural awareness training.
- Use remote meeting technology to match applicants with immigration officers who best understand their cultural context.
- Let applicants correct simple application mistakes within a set amount of time.
Regulate the immigration consultancy industry.
- Update the citizenship guidebook to include a more accurate history of Canada & Turtle Island, including residential schools & the Indian Act.
- Address all forms of hate & xenophobia in all aspects of settlement in Canada.
- Introduce exceptions for permanent residency & citizenship application costs based on household income.
- Replace all public, government-assisted refugee places with more private & joint sponsorship places, except for special cases.
- Make the Rainbow Refugee Assistance Project a permanent program.
- Allow private sponsorship of the most vulnerable victims of persecution directly from their country of origin.
- Create a program to allow direct private sponsorship of persecuted religious & sexual minorities.
- Get rid of the backlog for asylum seekers.
- Work with Canadians to resettle refugees in communities.
- Ensure refugees are given the support they need to build successful lives & new homes.
- Establish a clear & permanent path for resettlement of LGBTQI2S+ refugees.
- Terminate the Safe Third Country Agreement with the US.
- Address processing time & unaffordable application fees.
- Eliminate status-based service requirements.
- Reform economic immigration programmes to expand pathways to Permanent Residence for temporary foreign workers & former international students through the Express Entry points system.
- Create a Trusted Employer system with a streamlined application process for Canadian companies hiring temporary foreign workers to fill labour shortages that can't be filled by Canadian workers.
- Create a trusted employer system so companies don't have to reapply.
- Work with provinces to harmonise federal & provincial systems.
- Set clear standards & timelines for Labour Market Assessment processes, including options for fee-based expedited visas when needed.
- Revise how regions are zoned to ensure rural areas & tourism hotspots are not coupled with urban hubs.
- Establish a path to permanence.
- Increase the capacity of the Immigration and Refugee Board to hear asylum claims.
- Strengthen integrity and enforcement overall.
- Explore requiring more enforceable commitments for visitors to abide by.
- Allow family members of citizens to come & live in Canada for up to 5 years without permanent status, renewing their stay for additional time, where appropriate, if they purchase health insurance.