- Introduce a 15% tax credit for up to $50,000 in renovation & construction costs for adding a second unit to a home for an immediate or extended family member.
- Expand the Canada Caregiver Credit into a refundable, tax-free benefit.
- Double the Home Accessibility Tax Credit.
- Create an expert panel to provide recommendations on an Aging at Home Benefit.
Pay $200 per month per household to Canadians living with and taking care of a parent over the age of 70.
Work with provinces & territories to increase the Canada Pension Plan & Quebec Pension Plan survivor's benefit by 25%.
Introduce a 1-800 help line for seniors as a single-point-of-access to a wide range of government services & benefits.
- Invest $9B over 5 years to improve long-term care.
- Develop a Safe Long-Term Care Act.
- Work with the provinces & territories to raise wages for personal support workers, with a guaranteed minimum wage of at least $25/hr.
- Work with the provinces & territories to train up to 50K new personal support workers.
Amend the Criminal Code to make it clear that the operator of a licensed care facility shall be presumed to have legal duty to the residents.
- End private, for-profit long-term care.
- Bring long-term care homes under the public umbrella, beginning with the federally owned long-term care company Revera.
- Work with patients, caregivers, & governments to develop national standards for home care & long-term care, to ensure access to a consistent quality of care country-wide.
- Bring long-term care under the Canada Health Act.
- Create enforceable National Standards for LTC, enforced through penalties including criminal prosecution.
- Require Emergency & Pandemic Preparedness for LTC, including supplies of PPE.
- Set a national standard of 4 hours / day of regulated care for each resident.
- Increase staffing.
- Improve training, fair pay, benefits, & paid sick leave for staff.
- Increase Old Age Security by 10% next year for seniors 75 & over.
- Increase the Guaranteed Income Supplement by $500 for single seniors & $750 for couples, starting at age 65.