This is a page from the 2021 Canadian federal election.
News Media & Journalism
- Require digital platforms that generate revenue from publishing news content to share a portion of their revenues with Canadian news outlets, modelled after Australia's similar legislation.
- Support production of news for underserved communities with $50M over 5 years through the Local Journalism Initiative.
- Introduce a digital media royalty framework requiring digital platforms to compensate media outlets for content shared.
- Reduce government spending on advertising on foreign-owned platforms and instead direct ad spending to Canadian media.
- End the $600M journalism fund.
- Increase financial support for the Canada Media Fund.
- Extend support to Canadian media to assist in the transition to digital.