This is a page from the 2021 Canadian federal election.
Addiction & the Opioid Crisis
- Introduce a comprehensive strategy.
- Invest $25M for public education to reduce stigma.
- Invest $500M to support provinces & territories in providing evidence-based treatment.
- Support provinces & territories to create standards for substance use treatment programmes.
- Repeal relevant mandatory minimum penalties & require police & Crown to consider diverting people out of the criminal justice system.
- Invest $325M over 3 years to create 1,000 residential drug treatment beds & build 50 recovery community centres.
- Support innovative projects.
- Partner with provinces to ensure Naloxone kits are available for free across Canada.
- Declare a public health emergency.
- Work with all levels of government & health experts to decriminalise drug addiction & end stigma surrounding it.
- Work with the provinces & health professionals to create a safe supply of medically-regulated alternatives.
- Support overdose prevention sites.
- Expand access to treatment-on-demand.
- Launch an investigation into the role drug companies may have played.
- Declare the drug poisoning crisis a national public health emergency.
- Remove criminal penalties for personal possession & use of all drugs.
- Legislate the change rather than relying on informal or discretionary measures.
- Increase funding to community-based organisations to test drugs & support users.
- Implement a national education & distribution program for Naloxone.
- Ensure a safe supply.