Part of Mayors Role is to lead, to propose initiatives to Council and to the community. Council, as a whole. are the ultimate decision makers.
Responsible, Accountable Governance
- Commit to work in a good way with Indigenous Peoples on our journey of reconciliation.
- Offer Mayor’s open office hours at least once a month.
- Work quickly and collaboratively with my council colleagues to fulfill our commitments to the community.
- Propose a review of discretionary expenses within city operations.
Community Safety for all
- Convene a Mayor’s Task Force on Community Safety and ask the Task Force for recommendations by end of January 2023.
- Advocate the city establish and fund 24/7 Crisis Outreach Teams
- Work with leaders across our valley for a Team Kamloops approach to advocating to our provincial and federal government partners for needed health and criminal justice reforms
- Support services for people with mental health challenges and addictions and to help minimize negative impacts on the community
- Advocate for end to “Catch and release” for repeat offenders.
Resilient, Profitable Businesses
- Advocate for green, creative and technology based industries, business practices, and jobs
- Support the expansion / attraction of a film studio and other businesses that build our tax base.
- Support keeping business regulation and permitting as streamlined as possible.
- Support regular measuring and monitoring of community climate action to ensure greenhouse gas reduction goals are met.
- Advocate for the acceleration of buildout of safe and efficient cycle path network.
- Propose a longer duration city hosted commuter challenge to support citizens who are exploring shifting to more active, healthy transportation.
Vibrant, Caring, and Connected Community
- Offer weekly Mayor’s recognition for random and non random acts of kindness and community building.
- Advocate for the promotion and enhancement of Kamloops’ outdoor recreation opportunities
- Support the building of a new arts centre and generating as much revenue as possible.
- Propose city convening a citizens assembly on housing supply and affordability in 2023.
- Involve Mayor’s office in actively recruiting health professionals
- Propose building a new youth and community centre.
We need experienced leadership on Council. I bring 30 years of public policy experience, 14 years on city council, and experience as full time acting Mayor in some tough situations.
WORK EXPERIENCE CITY OF KAMLOOPS / CITY COUNCILLOR DECEMBER 2005 - NOVEMBER 2008 DECEMBER 2011 - PRESENT CITY OF KAMLOOPS /ACTING MAYOR JUNE 2017 - OCTOBER 2017 Longest serving current member of city council. Served on almost every council committee since first elected. Proposed successful initiatives to council colleagues on opportunities such as climate action, fiscal responsibility, and better engaging youth at city hall. By unanimous vote of council, took on the role of full time acting Mayor when Mayor Milobar became an MLA and Mayor Christian was elected in a byelection. Helped steward the community through an active wildfire season with Kamloops as a key evacuation centre for the BC Interior and through the final stages of council's input into the Ajax mine proposal. THOMPSON NICOLA REGIONAL DISTRICT / DIRECTOR MARCH 2014 - PRESENT One of six Kamloops council members appointed to TNRD board. Have served on economic development and tourism committee and utility services committee. Have fully supported the board’s work this term to tighten up fiscal accountability. SANDS APARTMENT / PROPERTY MANAGER SEPTEMBER 2005 - PRESENT Help manage 2 building apartment complex with 78 units. Overall responsibility for strategic planning. Experience in renting suites, tenant relations, scheduling and managing contractors, and risk management. UNION OF BC MUNICIPALITIES / DIRECTOR, VP, PRESIDENT SEPTEMBER 2013 - SEPTEMBER 2020 Elected by province wide vote of local elected officials to UBCM Board. Lots of experience on advocacy and partnership with the provincial government. Served on UBCM board convention committee, indigenous relations committee, environment, and Presidents committee. Chaired the environment and Presidents committee. Also Chaired UBCM’s special committee on climate action. Served as UBCM President in 2018/19. FEDERATION OF CANADIAN MUNICIPALITIES / DIRECTOR SEPTEMBER 2018 - SEPTEMBER 2019 JUNE 2020 - PRESENT Appointed to FCM board for one year as UBCM President. Then, elected by BC local elected officials. Have served on standing committees for increasing Women’s participation in local government, municipal infrastructure and transportation, anti equity and racism, and environmental issues and sustainable development. Chaired the environmental issues and sustainable development committee. BC LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEADERSHIP ACADEMY / VP, PRESIDENT, DIRECTOR SEPTEMBER 2014 - PRESENT Have helped train hundreds of local government elected officials across BC. PREVIOUS POSITIONS BEFORE SEPTEMBER 2005 Owner, Full World Internet Coaching
Coordinator, Kamloops Community Racism Response Protocols
Internet Marketer, Brookdale International
Owner, Five Rivers Clothing Company
Project Officer, Oxfam Canada NGO 1994 South Africa Election Observer Team
Community Support Worker, Kamloops Society for Community Living
Busboy, Orchid Mandarin Restaurant
Delivery Driver, Brownies Fried Chicken EDUCATION ROYAL ROADS UNIVERSITY / MA, PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATIONS OCTOBER 2009 - OCTOBER 2011 FIELDING GRADUATE UNIVERSITY / GRAD CERTIFICATE IN DIALOGUE, DELIBERATION, AND PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT AUGUST 2009 - JANUARY 2010 UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA / GRAD CERTIFICATE IN INTERNET MARKETING 1999 MCGILL UNIVERSITY / BA, POLITICAL SCIENCE SEPTEMBER 1987 - SEPTEMBER 1991 AWARDS UBCM Life Membership 2019
AIM Foundation Environmental Mentorship Award 2020
Kamloops This Week Readers Choice - Best Politician 2021