- UBC Grad and General Manager: Community Development, Parks and Recreation for Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows prior to retirement
- Director BC School Trustees Association 2018 to 2021
Mike has served as a School Trustee from 2011 to the present and board chair from 2011 to 2018 following his retirement as the General Manager of Community Development, Parks and Recreation for Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows. In 2018 he was elected as a Director for the BC School Trustees Association (BCSTA) where he served until 2021.
The BCSTA represents 60 Boards of Education to the Ministry of Education . As an elected director he was assigned to Chair both the Finance Committee and Capital Working group, authoring position papers which include recommendations to government on legislative changes and funding.
He is currently also serving as:
- the SD42 liaison to the Ridge Meadows Education Foundation and the Maple Ridge Parks, Recreation and Culture advisory committee.
- the SD42 appointee to the BCSTA Provincial Council
- a member of the Ridge Meadows Salvation Army Community Council
- a member of the provincially appointed BC Arts Council
Previously he served as:
- Chair and Director of the Ridge Meadows Community Services Council (social services agency)
- Chair and Director of the Ridge Meadows Hospital Foundation
- Director of the North Fraser Therapeutic Riding Association
- Director and Honorary Life Member of the Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows Arts Council
- President and Director of the BC Recreation and Parks Association
- President of the Rotary Club of Haney
- and in additional capacities for a wide variety of local initiatives
Mike has considerable experience working in and with government and social service agencies as well as an extensive community and provincial network to draw upon when addressing student needs.
Reason for running
I'm hoping my experience and networks will help me to contribute to the work at hand, all to benefit our students.