Looking for the 2023 Manitoba general election? Click here.
REASONABLE LAND PRICES
PROGRESSIVE PROPERTY TAX
CREATING THE MISSING MIDDLE
CUTTING RED TAPE
CREATING CO-OP HOUSING
Here is how we plan to return affordability to Vancouver:
1) Stabilize Rent- Currently landlords can increase a unit’s rent without limit when a tenant is replaced. We plan to allow rent to only be increased at a rate linked to inflation.
2) Stabilize Land Values- The price of land is at the root of the affordability crisis. We plan to implement a land appreciation tax. This will discourage investors from using land as a speculative investment or “a bank” to hold wealth. We need to encourage investment in innovation and job creating industries, not just parcels of land.
3) Let’s Create a City, not a Suburb- The vast amount of Vancouver is zoned for single family homes, not denser housing types. Let’s change that. We need to drastically increase the number of townhouses, row houses, low-rises and similar buildings. This is Vancouver, not a sprawling suburb. Right now we are building high-rises on major streets. Instead, we need to allow low-rise density, across the whole city.
4) The Missing Middle- Families need a place to grow. We can’t all live in single bedroom condos. The city needs to prioritize the creation of family housing, not small units that are preferred by investors. Let’s build row houses and other housing types that will meet the needs of local families.
5) Make it Easier to Build- The bureaucracy and red tape at city hall has become too much. We need to drastically streamline the building process and cut the tape.
6) “Vancouver Special” to the Rescue!- Let’s create a series of housing templates that will allow for rapid approval and building, like the role the Vancouver Special served to a previous generation.
7) Luxury Owners, Thanks for Lending a Hand!- Wealthy people come from all around the world to live in our beautiful city. If you own a luxury home, you will pay additional property taxes to contribute to the community, to keep it a fantastic place.
8) Use new Revenue to Build City Housing- The new revenue streams mentioned above will be used to build more affordable housing, either directly through the city, working with co-ops, partners, or by creating a crown corporation.
Reason for running